Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Donna Hay is my hero

I have been a long time fan of Australian homemaker, cook, all around renaissance woman Donna Hay and her fabulous cookbooks & magazine. I have subscribed for many years and must say that anytime I'm in a jam looking for the perfect recipe she never fails to come through for me. So, when I started planning my holiday party this year and her 10th anniversary magazine arrived I new she would, once again, have the perfect menu just waiting for me inside its pages. Here are a few of the recipes that I think I'm going to give a whirl this year. I'll be sure to document the outcome for all of you!

Dill and Salt-Cured Salmon

Bleu Cheese & Caramelized Onion Brioche
  • 1 x small (260g) loaf brioche, cut into rectangles
  • ⅓ cup (90g) caramelised onion relish
  • 1 small Granny Smith (green) apple, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 20g butter
  • 200g blue cheese, crumbled
  • chervil leaves and cracked black pepper, to serve

Spread the brioche with the caramelised onion and top with apple slices. Heat the oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the brioche, apple-side down, and cook for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden. Top with the blue cheese, chervil and pepper to serve.
Makes 16.

Chili & Lemongrass Chicken

  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 2 stalks lemongrass, very finely chopped
  • 2 large mild red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
  • 500g chicken mince
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • ¼ cup shredded mint leaves
  • 16 witlof (Belgian endive) or baby cos (romaine) leaves

Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add the oil, lemongrass, chilli and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the mince and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and mint. Spoon the lemongrass chicken into the witlof and serve. Makes 16.

Check out these recipes and more at Donna Hay

(& I seriously recommend subscribing to her mag. It's seriously the best!)

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm super late on this, but I love Donna Hay as well! I have to make sure I eat before I look at her magazines and her TV show or else I would be STARVING!! It's nice to see another Donna Hay fan...

    ReplyDelete